Saturday, 28 March 2015

Dance.

Dear diary,

I've been having dance lectures, four hours a week, for the past six weeks. I'm not going to lie to you, they've been hard. I was kind of looking forward to it, knowing it's a little different to learning scripts, and is a bunch of new skills to learn. But then I started the lectures. It's contemporary dance, so there's so much to think about, because it's all about technique. I've lost count of the times the teacher shouted a different body part at me "RIBS DOWN! STRETCH YOUR KNEES! ARTICULATE! STRAIGHT BACK! LIFT YOUR EYES! PUT YOUR SHOULDERS DOWN! STRETCH YOUR ARMS OUT! LIFT YOUR CHIN! WHERE IS YOUR CENTER?!"

There's been many times I've been on the verge of crying because I just can't get a dance move that everyone else seems to have got straight away. There's been so many times when I got brain freeze when we had to show her the dance moves individually.

Then we were told of our assessment. My mind immediately siezed up. I can't do this! I can't devise a 3 minute piece all on my own! I prayed, I picked a bible verse to base my piece on, and I chose a song. It will come to no surprise that the verse I picked was "I can do all this through him who gives me strength." - Phillipians 4:13, and the song was You Make Me Brave - Bethel.

And I was off. Praying along the way, and trusting that I would come up with something half decent. I asked a friend to dance with me, because I thought it might take the focus off of me.

Yesterday, I performed for the aforementioned assessment, and I was so nervous. I had to give myself a talking to; saying, "this is your best. That's all you can do." I got up on stage, and the music started. This was it. I gave it my all.

When I got off the stage to take my seat, I looked up and the whole row above me had tears in their eyes. They were so touched by my dance, and not because I'm a good dancer or anything, but because of the story that was told through my dance of God making people strong and brave through his strength. I almost cried, myself! I was so in awe of how God would use me to talk to other people through things I'm not even half decent at! He's a good God.

And now that I have finished that module, I think I'm really going to miss dance.

xx

(The above pic are stills from a video of the dance. Soz for the quality, they're the only pics I have)

No comments:

Post a Comment